The Partner visas allow the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.
Obtaining the permanent Partner visa is a two stage process. To be eligible for a permanent partner visa you first need to be granted a temporary partner visa (subclass 820). You apply for both the permanent and temporary visas at the same time and pay only one fee. If you are granted the temporary visa, you are eligible to be assessed for the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) about two years after you lodged your application. You will need to provide further documents for this assessment.
If you have been in a long term relationship before you lodge your application, the permanent subclass 801 visa will be granted immediately after the temporary subclass 820 visa.
- you must be married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- if you are in a de facto relationship, you must show that you have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months
- you must be 18 or older when you apply
- you must have a sponsor, who will be your partner, except if your partner is under 18 years of age
- your relationship with your partner is a Genuine Relationship
- you must meet the health and character requirement
You will need to show that you and your partner have a commitment to a shared life together, to the exclusion of all others. You and your partner must live together, or at least not live apart on a permanent basis.
The Department of Immigration will look at a number of aspects of your relationship, including:
- Cohabitation: Usually evidenced through showing correspondence addressed to both of you at the same address
- Financial Interdependence: Joint bank accounts, joint ownership of property, joint financial commitment such as leases, mortgages, insurance policies.
- Social aspects of the relationship: Joint travel, joint social activities, joint participation in cultural or sporting activities.