Driving around WA

Western Australia is a beautiful, vast state with many wonderful adventures to be had, some of which are way off the beaten track.

The laws surrounding driving in Western Australia are very strict, and breaking these laws may lead to at the very least, fines, and in some cases imprisonment, so it’s best to educate yourself about what’s right and what’s wrong, some of which varies from state to state.

For the purpose of this exercise, let’s concentrate on Western Australia.

If you have a current overseas licence, you may drive in Western Australia on your overseas licence, however you must apply for a West Australian driver’s licence once you have resided in WA for three months since being granted permanent residency, or if your overseas one expires, whichever comes first. You’ll have to carry your overseas licence with you at all times, and if it’s not in English, you’ll need an international driving permit or an approved English translation. This can be done by your consulate or embassy; a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters accredited translator; or the Department of Social Services free translating service

Once your licence expires or your three months is up, you will have to pass a Western Australian driving test. The requirements for the test depend on what country you come from as the Department of Transport (DoT) has different categories. These depend on the driving laws which apply within the country you’re from. These can be found on the Department of Transport’s website at www.transport.wa.gov.au/dvs

Then it’s a case of learning to drive on WA roads, and sitting a practical and written assessment, along with an eye examination. If all goes according to plan, you’ll receive your licence in the mail within a week.

Then it’s off to explore some of Australia’s most beautiful countryside. Happy travels!